Viruses are one of the major threats you can encounter browsing the web. Even though they aren't as important as they once were, having an up-to-date antivirus is still a good idea.
Viruses can not only make your devices slower, riddled with annoying adverts and popups, but they can also steal your private information such as your credit card number. They can even encrypt your files and ask you to pay for a ransom to have them back. Indeed, ransomwares hold your data hostage until you send the money to get the decryption key.
Here's an infographic with details about the eight worst viruses ever in the history.
In this infographic, 8 viruses are covered:
- Melissa, in 1999 by David L. Smith
- ILOVEYOU, in 2000 from the Philippines, Allegedly by Onel de Guzman
- Nimda, in September 2001, one week after 9/11
- SQL Slammer/Sapphire, in 2003
- Sasser, in 2004 by Sven Jaschan
- MyDoom, in 2004
- Conficker, in 2008